Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Speculative Solutions

are good. Unfortunately they are not the end point.

There are two primary reasons I come up with a speculative solution to a problem:

1) I haven't encountered it before
2) I think we could be doing better than our current solution

I often need to remind myself that the speculative solution is not the answer, it it the starting point. It is a chance for me to learn and figure out if this is right. If it is the wrong answer I have two options:

1) Modify what I'm doing
2) Try something else

To do this I need to be in a position where I can change. If beginning my solution requires me to go to the end before I can evaluate whether or not it worked, I'm in big trouble.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like how you put this Ted. Reading that you remind yourself that the speculative solution is only the start of the real solution was an excellent reminder for me.

8:20 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home